Last night I lost the my pearl off a necklace my hubby gave me eighteen years ago, and he gave it to me just because he loved me. :) We had been married almost two years...now we are going on twenty-one. (so a LONG time ago!) You can imagine the sentimental value. That was last night... and this morning I kept saying to myself..."it's just stuff, it's just stuff" repeating often as I was going downstairs to my room. On the second to the last step I stepped on it. Now, I had gone up and down those steps several times last night and again this morning. My pearl was in the middle of the step and I didn't even notice it...so, I am ever so thankful to be reminded again that I really know it is just stuff and I would give it all away if that is what I am called to do...
Like how in the Bible Jesus talked about in Matthew 6 starting in verse 19 Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store for yourself treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do NOT destroy, and where thieves do NOT break in a steal. For where your treasure is , there will be your heart also.
I am reminded of this, thank you God as I am finishing up preparing for our son to come home. In our house we do have a lot of stuff...I don't believe it is more then an average family...at least I hope NOT!! But, I want my treasure to be in heaven...where my heavenly Father lives! I want to be obedient to what God wants me to do. Sometimes, it is hard to part with stuff like my pearl...but it can be done!! And the choice is ours...where is your heart?
To answer that question...to me it means a label to one's identity. Sometimes a name is chosen because of a meaning or family name. Well, God gave me a name through blessing me with a little boy who has known my name for a little over a year. The name God gave me was MOM. My son gave this to me yesterday afternoon. (sorry it's a little blurry)
My name is Mom to my son and he wrote my name down to show me that he knows who I am. :) I was so touched and he was so happy...the joy of motherhood!!!
Sacrifice: An act of giving up something of value for the sake of something that is of greater value or importance What this means to me and examples in my life:
1) Most importantly when I think of sacrifice, I think of God. He gave up His ONLY son to die on the cross that who ever would believe in him can have eternal life. God sent His ONLY son to die a horrible horrible death for me (and of course for any one else who believes in Him). I can't even imagine how He did that. I can hardly let my kids go to school some mornings because I miss them. (I know that is ???) God sacrificed for me, He did that before I was even born...WOW God sure must love me! And I know he does! I am a child of His, in fact when I first believed I became and adopted child of His! I am so thankful that I know God and LOVE him with my whole heart!! I know that I could have stuck many Bible verses in here, but I am talking from my heart and what I know. (and many verses fit here)
2) Another example is my family, my mother and sister specifically!!! They are sacrificing their lives and their plans to take care of my family while we travel and bring home our son. My sister will be moving in while we are gone. My mother lives up the road so she is close. But she works full time and drives an hour each way and lately my dad has been really under the weather! So, in addition to my sister working almost full time she will have the responsibility of my kids, two Dachshunds, our grandmother and still has her family to take care of. My whole heart brims over with gratitude for my mom and sister. They are the best!!
3) We as parents sacrifice for our children. Whether it be sleep or that last treat..we do a lot. Of course that goes along with being called a parent, but still we do it for our kids. And LOVE it.
Heart: A muscular organ that pumps blood through the body AND A person's feelings or capacity to love or compassion What this means to me and examples in my life:
1) I have a heart that beats the way God intended it to beat and work. Thank you God for my heart!!
2) Some people would call me emotional, maybe that is true...but my heart is touched by so many things. Sometimes it hurts so bad for something that it actually feels physical. Unfortunately there are many things that cause this to happen. Lately it has been thinking about my son so far away and so out of reach. Death of course, at the end of this month will be two years that my great-uncle passed away. I was there just minutes after he passed. I could hardly let go of his hand and stop caressing his head!! Then at the funeral I felt my heart was going to burst out of my chest in such pain. I couldn't let go of his hand then either...brings tears to my eyes right now. I literally could not let go...now I know it was his body and all that, and he was dancing and singing up in heaven, but I couldn't let him go. At the cemetery, oh my that was awful!! It was so cold...
3) My capacity to love is given to me by God. I am thankful for a loving heart...I am able to love and have compassion that sometimes even surprises me. This is something that I hope to impress on my child to ask God for a heart of compassion.
Patience: The capacity to tolerate delay, trouble, or suffering without becoming angry or upset What this means to me and examples in my life:
1) Um, wow look at that definition. Guess what? After reading that I have learned that I really have to learn how to have patience!!!! Now it is something that God is working on in me! I think I am getting it down to just being a little crabby or complaining about it. :(
2) This concept is VERY hard to teach to children!!!! Anyone agree? Or maybe not? They almost understand that waiting and having patience go hand in hand with each other. Maybe they will learn it a lot earlier in life! :)
So, that's about it for a definition lesson today. Think about how you would define these words in your own life and maybe be better at using them in your life...
My son, what beautiful words!! I get so choked up over his little face that needs millions and millions of kisses!! He has arms wide enough for so many hugs that he does not need to worry about missing out ever again!!! And I can NOT wait to tell him I LOVE HIM!!!!
We have begun a new year, a new beginning, a fresh start, slate wiped clean, and what ever else you say when a new year starts. This post will be about the new year and also the one that has just ended.
This past year for me has been filled with many many changes in my life. It started out with planning to be a mom of THREE children. To be honest, it was like "wow God are you sure?" I want as many children as God chooses to bless us with, but never really hit me like he would give us more. Does that make sense? After a few days of knowing this was from God, he was leading us I was thrilled to death and started planning. Finding out the needed info to adopt again.
Okay, according to the several people I talked to we were good to go. Great, then figuring out the finances. We had just brought home child #2 and needed to regroup and go forward with the financial part. There were plans for that and close to the end we were not able to get the resources. We were working on other options as well...but slower, much slower. God knew EVERY EVERY single step we would be taking following him! There were SO many people that have donated to us that means so much and we thank you all so very much! Never did I think or dream that I would learn to trust God so much more in spite of human opposition.
Faith, hope, trust, and patience in and with God! That would be my mantra for this past year. And NO I do not have each of those perfected...far from it. I try so hard (with God's help) to grasp each concept. Faith that our adoption will happen, hope that I am following God's path, trust that each step is solid, and patience waiting for our son to be home.
There are a a few instances that I panicked about things, it ended in a hurt friendship and it was because I panicked...but I should have had faith in God and in my friend!! And I should have followed and clung to my verse found in Romans 8:30 If God is for us then who can be against us. No matter what came in our way.
School was a big deal for us this year. One, they rode the bus and two, they go to school everyday. Some days I miss them terribly!! They are just two and a half miles away, but it seems like a million!! They have/had great teachers!! Love them!! Now their teachers will both be on maternity leave. Both teachers have wanted to be mommies for a long time and now they are going to be blessed to be!! I am so happy for them as I know what it is like to wait for a LONG time to be a mom!
My kids also have the BEST teacher that works with them out of the classroom. Works with them on tests and many other things. She also helps with meetings and making sure that both kids have everything they need. I can NOT thank her enough for taking such great care of my children.
Then as the year came to a close it was planning for and celebrating holidays. Holidays that one little boy did not celebrate with his family. No one but God knows how I have cried over waiting for our son. Sometimes I just ask God why? Why make this little boy wait for us? But, I am reminded that it is God that has control and that is what I want!! But this mommy wants the world to know that I can't wait to welcome that little boy in my arms!!! He already has my heart!!!